Ardgillan Demense

The gardens are in two main parts, the formal garden to the west of the house and the walled garden to the North West. In 1983 work began on the replanting of the formal garden using the layout of the Ordnance Survey map of 1865. A wide collection of roses have been planted, from species and old varieties around the perimeter, climbing roses on the pergola and 'Hybrid Ts' and 'Floribundas' in the centre beds.


The final stage of the development of the Rose garden was the rebuilding of the Victoria conservatory, constructed by the Scottish firm 'Mckenzie and Moncur' in the 1880's for the Jameson of 'Seamount', Malahide. When fully completed this will incorporate a Museum of Garden History with access from the Walled Garden. This very fine glasshouse was donated to the Parks Department by Mr & Mrs Tracey, the present owners of 'Seamount'.

 

The walled garden was originally a Victorian styled kitchen garden, used to supply the fruit, vegetables and cut flower requirements of Ardgillan House. It is 2 acres in size, and subdivided into five separate compartments, each having a different theme; a Herb garden, using herbs suitable to culinary, medicinal, dyeing and pot-pourii, as well as a number of plants specifically for bees and butterflies; a vegetable pottager, demonstrating the variety of vegetables that can be grown in a small area and yet look attractive.

The 'Irish Garden' is constantly increasing its collection of plants of Irish origin, whether native species or varieties, or plants named after Irish collectors. This section also includes a most unusual free-standing 'Fruit Wall' with twenty alcoves used for growing the more tender fruit such as peaches, nectarines, pears etc. Another section includes a 'Four Seasons' garden showing the variety of plants that either flower, fruit or have ornamental bark in a particular season. The final section will demonstrate the wide range of semi-tender plants that can survive outdoors for many years as well as a range of fruit plants of Irish origin.

A coffee shop is open in the former Head Steward's house adjoining the Castle. The opening hours are displayed on the notice board.

Guided tours of the Gardens are available during the months of June / July / August at 3.30pm on Thursday afternoons or by special arrangement for groups.

Ardgillen Castle Demesne is owned and managed by Fingal County Council 

Ardgillan Castle Demesne, Balbriggan
T: +353 (0) 1 8492212
F: +353 (0) 1 8492786
W: www.ardgillancastle.ie

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Great place togolf
Great place tovisit
Great place toeat
how to findfingaldublin

FingalDublin uses cookies. More information Close