Portmarnock Hotel & Golf Links
It is easy to appreciate why Portmarnock Hotel & Golf Links has emerged as one of Ireland’s premier places to stay and play links golf all year round, The Links Portmarnock, is a championship links designed by Bernhard Langer, and opened for play in 1995 has hosted many top class amateur and professional events including the 2008 & 2009 Ladies Irish Open. An immediate neighbour is Portmarnock Golf Club (established 1894) with The Island and The Royal Dublin Golf Clubs all renowned championship links courses situated within 12 miles.
The Portmarnock Hotel is built on part of the former Jameson Whiskey family estate. The original house (St. Marnocks) dates back to 1847 and is now home to the Jameson Bar where golfers can unwind before and after golf.
The Jameson family’s private golf course, developed in 1858, was one of the earliest courses in Ireland and stretched along the dunes from here to the 15th hole at Portmarnock Golf Club. Bernhard Langer affectionately incorporated part of the original layout in his design of the championship links.
The use of dunes and natural terrain should please the most ardent links purists. Elevated tees and greens, blind approaches and doglegs, not to mention typical links sea breezes, keep you thinking through every round.
Gently undulating luxuriously sprung fairways leading to large fast greens must be negotiated through 98 strategically placed bunkers, while hillocks, wild grasses and gorse await wayward shots. Measuring 6,350 metres, the 1st tee and 18th green are conveniently situated just a wedge shot from the hotel and clubhouse.